Experienced Family Law Attorney
Salary Based on Experience
Riverside County Coalition for Alternatives to Domestic Violence (ADV) and Trauma Recovery Center is a private, nonprofit 501C3 organization serving all western Riverside County, California, with a range of services aimed at breaking the cycle of physical and emotional violence within families and the wider community.
The Alternatives to Domestic Violence Domestic Violence Family Law Attorney will work well in a team environment and supervise a legal department, including a paralegal as well as a legal intern. The Staff Attorney will focus on family law issues, providing direct assistance to clients through one-on-one consultations, filing and management of clients’ legal cases, legal clinics, litigation, and administrative hearings. The attorney will provide outreach and education to community groups and assist with the supervision, training, and mentorship of the Legal Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Devise and implement policies to ensure efficient and successful management of legal services.
- Conduct initial screenings, legal intakes, and assessments of clients’ legal needs.
- Oversee client’s legal cases and the day-to-day delivery of legal services and ensures quality civil representation.
- Maintains individual caseload.
- Represents clients in civil legal matters.
- Provide legal clinics to clients on selected topics.
- Assists clients in understanding the legal system and prepares the client for their court case.
- Assists clients with referrals and/or resources when appropriate.
- Complies with all confidentiality requirements.
- Recruits and trains law students and interns
- Provides one-on-one mentoring and supervision to legal interns as well as practicum training.
- Provides statistical analysis and narrative regarding Legal Services activities for agency reports.
- When requested, assists in the grant writing process.
Education, Experience and Other Requirements:
Must have graduated from an ABA or California accredited law school and be admitted to the State Bar of California. Must also not have any discipline record with any State Bar. Should have 5-7 years’ experience in Family Law, including litigation hours in the courtroom; experience with case management software, legal pleading preparation software, and general office computer systems and software.
- Familiarity with legal issues affecting domestic violence survivors and domestic violence and sexual assault violence related to family law issues.
- Demonstrated knowledge of crisis intervention, domestic violence, child abuse/neglect, stalking, elder abuse intervention, experience in crisis counseling.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with court personnel, members of the legal community, and social service agencies.
- Ability to work with diverse client population in a non-judgmental manner.
- Demonstrate initiate and professionalism; ability to work independently.
- Strong and effective oral and written communication skills; public speaking, facilitating group discussions.
- Must have a flexible schedule with the ability to have office time at least 16 hours a week.
Please Note: Resumes who do not meet the minimum requirements will not be considered.
Alternatives to Domestic Violence is a small 501c3 nonprofit and does not currently offer medical benefits; we do, however, offer a generous vacation, holiday, and sick package. We also encourage work/life balance which includes a one-year paid Gym Membership upon completion of the probationary period as well as a Tuition Reimbursement Program. (restrictions apply).